If you go a few streets away from where I live, the tap water doesn't usually have the mud and mould taste, but you can't avoid the periodic high chlorine content.
I must have got a better filter than the neighbours did.
As kids, we all drank water with cordial added to it, often plenty of it. It was somewhat rare to see someone drinking plain water.
Usually, that'd be from a water fountain with refrigerated water, which hides the (bad) taste a lot.
That depends on your tap water, and the bottled water that you can buy.
For me, most bottled water is most definitely better than our, regularly gastro-inducing, tap water.
No, I'm not exaggerating about getting gastro from our tap water!
Where I live, in South Australia, is infamous for having terrible tap water.
In my case (in Modbury, North-East of Adelaide), it's certainly true.
Ours frequently has mud and mould in it, and, from time to time, when there's another algae bloom outbreak in the reservoirs, large amounts of chlorine—so much that it smells like you've dumped a bottle of bleach in the bathroom, and enough to get chemical burns in the shower.
Even worse was water that stank of sewage when the bottom of our road was dug up a few times.
I've no idea of the health aspects of that, but the smell from a hot shower was stomach churning.